What is motion sickness?
Motion sickness is a woozy feeling or sensation that a person feels when they are traveling via car, boat, train, or airplane. Some people may feel symptoms of motion sickness when they are taking rides at an amusement park too.
If you start feeling motion sickness more than often, then it’s time you should see a General Physician in New Garden Town Lahore. They will evaluate your condition to know what caused an increase in the episodes of motion sickness and how it can be treated.
What causes motion sickness?
When different senses or organs of your body get conflicted they start sending jumbled-up messages to your brain. As a result, the brain gets perplexed and reacts in a way that causes motion sickness.
Moving of a car, rocking of a boat, train movement, and other motions like these trigger motion sickness in most people.
Common symptoms of motion sickness are:
- an increase in saliva production
- vomiting and nausea
- trouble balancing your body
- paleness of skin
- loss of appetite
- severe headache
- lethargy or tiredness
- shallow breathing
How can motion sickness be diagnosed?
Normally, motion sickness doesn’t require any clinical diagnosis. It is because the feeling comes in while a person is traveling and goes away once the trip is over.
However, if you continue to feel the symptoms of motion sickness even after the trip or ride is over then you should see a doctor and get yourself evaluated.
What can you do to ease the symptoms of motion sickness?
Once a person’s body starts getting used to the movement that is triggering motion sickness they start feeling better.
However, if you continue to feel sick you can do the following things to calm your mind and body:
- Avoid eating heavy snacks while you travel.
- Keep gum, candy or chocolate handy while you travel, and as soon as you start feeling sick just start chewing onto some.
- Close your eyes for a few moments and take deep breaths.
- Find a stable object and fix your gaze there.
How can motion sickness be treated?
Visit a General Physician in DHA Phase 5 Karachi and they will prescribe you with medications to treat motion sickness. Some of these medications prevent the onset of the symptoms of motion sickness while others induce sleepiness.
Hyoscine hydrobromide, Dimenhydrinate, Promethazine, Meclizine and Cyclizine are some medications that are prescribed for the treatment of motion sickness.
How can motion sickness be treated with the help of natural remedies?
Following are some natural ways to treat motion sickness:
- Acupuncture and acupressure can help relieve nausea by stimulating a point below your wrist.
- Eating fresh mint leaves before a trip helps some people with the symptoms of motion sickness. It is because mint leaves help in calming your body.
- Eating raw ginger helps in fighting nausea.
How can motion sickness be prevented?
If you want to prevent motion sickness follow these steps:
- If you are traveling by road, sit in the front seat of the car or maybe drive the car yourself.
- If you are traveling by bus or train don’t take a seat on the backside and open a vent for ventilation.
- If you are traveling by air, book a seat next to the window.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or smoking before your trip.
- Rest well before your day of trip.
- Eat a well-balanced diet and stay away from acidic and greasy food.
- If you take medications or a home remedy to prevent motion sickness always keep it handy when you travel.